Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Jenni, this one's for you

So, it's a little past midnight, and I was about to go to bed, when I remembered that I promised Jenni Boyle that I'd start up my blog again (yes, it was that popular). And so I stayed up for fifteen extra minutes to keep my word. In fact, I'm even going to include a picture.

This is me on top of the world. I feel great. I feel good. Jordan was an awesome, wonderful experience that taught me a lot about what this world has to offer and what this world needs. I felt what it was like to not have constant access to the internet, an iPod, a nice gym, running, running water, a toilet, or clean clothes. Lately, at BYU, in addition to the million other things that I'm doing, I've gotten involved with an internship through Students for Social Entrepreneuring where we are helping a company involved in providing loans for poor students in South America.

I've recently found out about social entrepreneurship. Basically, you use markets and basic economic principles to provide services to the poor instead of just giving them handouts. For example, Vittana, the company that I work for, connects people around the world with students needing loans on their website, www.vittana.org. People can make a loan for as little as $25, and the students get the money to finish to school and eventually pay back the loans. It's an awesome concept- using the resources of normal people to help those who are less fortunate.

I'm seriously considering a career in international development. When I was on my mission, I decided that whatever I was going to do was going to be as close to missionary work as possible. Being involved in helping overcome the problems of the world- no matter how insignificant my efforts are- is the closest thing that I've found. Life is beautiful. Profitons-en.

2 comments:

  1. alf shukr, habibi. Hay post hilu katir. bass blogak mish illy, illak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, James! Way to keep your word.

    ReplyDelete