Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Game's Afoot

Well faithful followers, the long wait is over and the revolution will begin shortly. And by revolution, I mean my second blog post in the world. I was going to wait until I went to Jordan (since this is a blog mainly about Jordan), but my adoring fans couldn't wait any longer and just had to have another post. The title has absolutely nothing to do with what I will write about. I just happened to watch Sherlock Holmes with my family tonight and I liked it a lot. I've been walking around my house for the last hour saying clever things to myself and pretending that I am uncovering some Masonic conspiracy to take over the world. Movies do that to you.

Anyways, so I have been doing really nothing exciting at all. Except for going on lots of dates. Just kidding. But I did go on one. I had a peanut butter and bacon burger at The Slip in Kirkland, and it was amazing. I know what you are all thinking--how do I get myself one of those and why have I never heard of this before? The mesh of textures between the creamy, thick peanut butter, the bread, and the meaty burger just is really amazing. You're chomping your way throw a nice slab of bacon and the crumbly ground meat of the burger, and you're taste buds are met by a latter of sweet peanut butter that holds everything together and creates an explosion of exotic taste in your mouth. I've never quite had anything like it before. I was going to put a picture up, but I didn't take one and the search results from Google images make me want to puke. So I didn't. Put one up. Or puke.

Ok, so as far as preparation for Jordan goes, this is what I've done so far:

1) Got a typhoid vaccination.
2) Read books on life in the Middle East.
3) Ate lunch with Ahmed, my dad's co-worker who is from Jordan.
4) Avoided working out so as not to overawe the natives.
5) Played Rome Total War to hone my ancient warfare fighting skills.
6) Ate a peanut butter and bacon burger sandwich to condition my stomach to foreign foods.

Number three from the list is worth some detail. On Thursday, I met my dad and Ahmed at their work, and we went to Tandoori Fire (maybe it was Tandoori Kitchen?), a Pakistani place that was super cheap and super good. We talked for a couple hours about Islam, Middle Eastern culture, and Jordan. I love Muslims. If I wasn't Mormon, I'd be a Muslim. They are some of the nicest, most hospitable people in the world. On my mission in France, the native Europeans would hardly give you the time of day once they saw "Jesus-Christ" written on the badge, but the Muslims would always invite you in for a drink and a chat about religion. I love their emphasis on the community and on human relationships. It would annoy me to no extent when Muslims and Africans would be late for or not show up for their appointments, but I came to understand why: family and friends and the relationships you have with them always come first. Usually they'd be late because someone came over to their house or a friend needed help. Don't get me wrong--it's really important to be on time and to keep commitments, but sometimes we put too much emphasis on that and lose opportunities to help others or to make new friends.

Wow, this blog post is going to be really long and no one will want to read it. So I'll stop now.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jamesy! I loved loved loved this blog post! I loooooove it. I'm so glad you listened to your fans' advice and posted another blog. I miss you! MUAAAH!

    ReplyDelete